Add these all together and you can have quite a lag in seeing new users in your GAL.
- GAL generation (should happen at time of user creation but may be delayed by DC replication)
- Offline address book generation (every 24 hrs)
- OAB replicated to the CAS (can take up to 8 hours)
- Outlook download of OAB (24 hours from last download)
Things you can do to reduce lag.
- Increase the OAB generation schedule (default is once a day @ 5:00 am)
- EMC –> Organization Configuration –> Mail Box –> Offline address Book <tab> –> Properties of OAB –> Click Customize next to Update schedule –> modify to fit your needs (be careful to not make it often)
- Sample script to set it to 4 times a day for every OAB (use caution as this could cause undue load on the server\client)
- get-offlineaddressbook | set-offlineaddressbook -schedule “Sun.5:00 AM-Sun.6:00 AM, Sun.10:00 AM-Sun.11:00 AM, Sun.3:00 PM-Sun.4:00 PM, Sun.8:00 PM-Sun.9:00 PM, Mon.5:00 AM-Mon.6:00 AM, Mon.10:00 AM-Mon.11:00 AM, Mon.3:00 PM-Mon.4:00 PM, Mon.8:00 PM-Mon.9:00 PM, Tue.5:00 AM-Tue.6:00 AM, Tue.10:00 AM-Tue.11:00 AM, Tue.3:00 PM-Tue.4:00 PM, Tue.8:00 PM-Tue.9:00 PM, Wed.5:00 AM-Wed.6:00 AM, Wed.10:00 AM-Wed.11:00 AM, Wed.3:00 PM-Wed.4:00 PM, Wed.8:00 PM-Wed.9:00 PM”
- Change OAB download interval in outlook (From MSKB# 841273)
- On the Tools menu, point to Send/Receive, point to Send/Receive Settings, and then click Define Send/Receive Groups.
- Click New.
- Type a name for the custom group.
- Click your Exchange account, and then click to select the Include the selected account in this group check box.
- Under Select the options you want for the selected account group, make sure that the only check box that is selected is Download offline address book, and then click OK.
- In the Send/Receive Groups dialog box, click your new group.
- Under Setting for group Group_name, click to select only the Schedule an automatic send/receive every check box, and then enter the number of minutes.
- Under When Outlook is offline, click to clear the check boxes.
- Click Close.
- Get-GlobalAddressList | Update-GlobalAddressList
- Get-OfflineAddressBook | Update-OfflineAddressBook
- Get-ClientAccessServer | Update-FileDistributionService
- Download Full OAB in outlook
- On the Tools menu, point to Send/Receive, and then click Download Address Book.
- In the Offline Address Book dialog box, make sure that the Download changes since last Send/Receive check box is checked.
- Click OK.