When you add servers to a DAG it will create a network for every subnet\NIC that server is connected to, this is nice because as soon as you add the server it can replicate with the other nodes.
However there are some post configuration steps you need to take otherwise replication will occur over the MAPI\Client network and never use the replication network.
- You should NEVER have multiple gateways, if you have a private\heartbeat network that is routed you need to remove the gateway and add a static route.
Example: You configure the gateway on the public NICs
and configure the following static routes:
- Next you will notice your “DAG Networks” may look something like this
The issue with this configuration is that there is no clearly defined replication or mapi networks, so what we need to do is collapse them into 2 dag networks.
- Modify the networks to include both subnets, (I named mine for easy identification.
i.e. Combine 10.0.1.x with 10.0.2.x and 192.168.2.x and 192.168.1.x
- I would also recommend disabling replication on the MAPI or client network, (it will be used anyway if the replication network is not available.
You should now be replicating over the replication network, you can verify with the following:
- Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus <DatabaseName> -ConnectionStatus | fl name, outgoingconnections,incomminglogcopyingnetwork